Pages

Monday, February 26, 2007

Labor: Lights! Camera! Action!

I have recently learned that there are two major flaws in the way movies portray the birth process. I'm sure you've seen the same movies as I have, and will know what I'm talking about...

1. The rushing to keep up with the baby, where the mother notices her water just broke and rushes to the hospital as quickly as she can. If she doesn't have the baby in the taxi, she is pushed in a wheelchair through the ER doors, just in time to scream and tell her husband she hates him right before the baby comes out crying and everyone is smiling.

2. The only labor position option is on your back with your legs spread. I wouldn't believe you if you told me you've seen a movie where the mom is squatting, sitting in a chair, or even in a hot-tub during labor.

Anyway, as my due date approaches (it's absolutely insane that it is only a little less than 8 weeks away!), I find myself thinking more and more about the birth process. I was hoping that after my childbirth class this weekend (more on that later), I would be more comfortable with the whole idea, but I still feel like I'm just beginning the process of preparing myself mentally, and the first step is deciding whether or not I want an epidural.

Surprisingly, the more I think about it, the less I want one. And my most recent appointment with my midwife made me feel soooo much better about it all. Apparently "natural births" are becoming more and more popular again. I'm not opposed to the idea of having an epidural, but I think I want to try really hard to have as much of a natural birth as possible.

I know that if I'm going to go through with a natural birth, I need to prepare myself for the process. I have read that it's critical to know what relaxes you (regardless of the type of birth you have) and I've already come up with a pretty good list (hot baths, back massages, Out of Africa soundtrack, foot massages, having my hair brushed).

I have also read that many pregnancies, especially first time pregnancies, have a tendency of going to the hospital way too early in the labor process, and this ends up being more stressful for the mother and baby. Apparently labors tend to go more quickly and smoothly if the mother can stay in the comfort of her own home for as long as possible. I like the sound of that, but I know that I would have the same gut feeling as the rest of the first time mothers and think "Crap! Labor! My baby is going to pop out on the way to the hospital! Thank God we're not taking a cab!" After all, that's the way it happens in the movies.

So how am I going to combat those issues during my birth when the only examples I've seen have been presented by Hollywood?

The answer can be today's lesson in Greek: Doula
"Doula" is a Greek word that loosely translated means "female servant".

A what? Look it up. Google is great.

The point is that a doula can help in all the areas that Hollywood has let me down. She can be there for me while I'm at home and help me through the initial stages of labor and will know when it's right to go to the hospital. Then once at the hospital, she can help me by suggesting different labor positions and different relaxation techniques to ease the birth process.

Everyone I've spoken to who has ever had a doula speaks so highly of them, and when I asked my midwife if she would recommend one, there was no hesitation when she quickly jumped up to get the information for a recommendation for me. On top of that, when I searched for one online, I kept being told that "every woman deserves a doula!" Hey, dammit! Screw Hollywood! I deserve a doula! Google says so!

Statistics for births with a doula present:
50% Reduction in Cesarean Sections
60% Reduction in requests for epidural anesthesia
40% Reduction in the need for Forceps or assisted Delivery
25% Shorter Labors
40% Reduction in the need for Oxytocin
30% Reduction in analgesia use
Fewer Cases of Postpartum Depression
Increased success with Breastfeeding
Increased confidence and participation by the father/partner

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of a doula before, but I think it sounds like a great idea. Also, I've heard LOTS of good things about using a hot tub. I wouldn't be surprised if a big key is changing positions frequently.
Then again, what do I know - I've never given birth!

Jen

Niffer said...

I've heard great things about using a tub too. It really surprised me to learn of all the different positions women can give birth in, but the tub is one I'm really hoping to take advantage of. The hopsital I have has two delivery rooms with jacuzzis in them and I'm really hoping I can get one. If for nothing else, I know for a fact that a nice warm bath is one of the things that relaxes me the most, and apparently that's the key... to try to relax as much as possible so that your body isn't too tense to do the things it needs to do.

But now that we're on the topic of hospital rooms... apparently it is the same room I labor in and deliver in. It's a private room, with at least a shower, and I stay there overnight. Additionally, there is a pull-out couch so that Michael can stay the night too, so I think it's a pretty good set-up.

Niffer said...

Hi! It's me again. More about the tub... Apparently not only does it relax your muscles, but the bouancy that you have means that you don't have to support all the weight of the baby either, which makes it even easier for your body to adjust properly and prepare for the delivery.

And in case you're wondering, I will not be able to deliver the baby in the tub, but I'm told that they do that a lot in Europe. It's strange to think that the baby comes out all happy underwater (afterall, it's not like it's breathing air inside the tummy either).

Heidi said...

I was in and out of the tub a couple of times during my labor. Sadly, I did not get one of the "good" rooms with an oversized tub so there wasn't much room for changing position. It was still nice though. I also used the shower, and being able to move around while the water beat down was a great distraction.

My midwife told me a gazillion times, both in the office during the last few months and then again in the hospital, "officially, we do not allow women to deliver in the tub. HOWEVER, if you get in and REFUSE to come out, there isn't anything we can do about it." And then there was lots of winking.

I was not a fan of the standing on the bed squatting while holding on to a bar thing during pushing. The added pressure of gravity along with the fear of falling off the bed just didn't do it for me. Squatting while on the floor (vs the bed) before pushing was a good position for me.

Niffer said...

My doula just told us that the tubs at the hospital aren't the oversized ones I had envisioned, so I'm a little bummed about that. She told me stories of a tub at another hospital where the group of midwives would give birth to babies under water all the time. I still find it amazing that happens. She did say, though, that only the midwives would do it and the doctors never touched the tub, so when the midwives decided to leave that hospital (to support a different one), the tub stopped being used.

On a side note, some people in our class were told that the tub was no longer available because of a death to a baby born in it recently. My doula participates with so many hospitals and has contacts from being an RN herself, that she doubts that's the case since she hasn't heard anything. Interesting, though, that's what the doctors are telling new patients.