Pages

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Reboot

The other night I had a minor meltdown of sorts. Addie still isn't sleeping like she did before she got sick three weeks ago and I'm tired of being tired. At 1:30 AM on Wednesday, I had enough.

The interesting thing about parental meltdowns (at least the minor kind - I'm not going to claim I understand the real ones that result in real consequences) is that you have to pick yourself back up and continue on. This baby needs you regardless of whether or not you'd rather sleep. You keep going.

As it so happened with us, it ended up being a nice sort of mental reboot. After lots of internet searching, searching for records of how Ellie was at this point in her infancy, combined with a little bit of soul searching, we were able to start all over.

Last night I didn't try to get Addie to return to her normal routine. I fed her and comforted her every time she woke up. She still woke more times than I'd prefer, but my attitude had changed.

Isn't it interesting how it sometimes takes one very horrible day (or in my case, night) to force you to step back and re-examine the situation (or in my case, my attitude)? It only takes one bad moment for you to remember that it is only going to get better from here.

No comments: