Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thumper

I usually consider myself someone who sleeps well. I'm often aware of what's going on around me but I can sleep through it anyway. I certainly wish I could say that was helping me now.

I wish I could just blame it all on the baby. That would be nice and simple and everyone would understand. But even though she hasn't been sleeping well (she woke every couple hours for over a month), she has been better the last few nights (waking once or twice between 6:30 pm and 6:00 am). So she's just as innocent as she looks.

During the month of her sleeping so poorly, we've been taking turns being sick. So, even if she's peacefully sleeping away, my husband (or I) will be peacefully snoring away. Not so peaceful for the remaining person in the bed.

If you can make it past that, Ellie also has been taking her turn being sick. She'll wake in the middle of the night with horrible coughing spells that just make me want to scream. Not fun for either of us.

Then there are the cats. Anyone who has had cats know that they love being awake at night. Anything from simply jumping on and off the bed, to chasing each other, to spazzing out like cats do, to hissing at the dog, to simply laying on my head and purring happily... these two fuzz balls are not free of guilt.

But don't forget the dog. Merlin sleeps downstairs by himself, mainly because the cats hate him, but often he's dreaming a big doggie dream that can only entail chasing herds of bunnies through lush green fields of grass. Let's just say he talks and kicks in his dreams. I'm glad he's not in the bed with us.

Then there is the train. Let's not forget the train. I will never understand why some nights the train can sneak by without me noticing it at all, while other nights it sounds like it's going to come right through my bedroom window. Is it the wind? UGH. Does the train REALLY need to sound it's horn at every intersection when it really knows deep down that no one is awake at that hour of the night. It's like running that stupid red light in the middle of nowhere because you KNOW that you're all alone on the road.

Finally, let's talk about Michael's smart phone. There is the occasional email from a coworker on the nights that he accidentally forgets to silence his phone. And no matter how much I try to telepathically plea with those Europeans, they keep insisting on working the hours that are most convenient to them, not me.

So, as you can see, I have more than my share of stuff keeping me awake. I do not need another one. But now there is this. The house thumps. You heard me. THE. HOUSE. THUMPS. We started noticing it almost a week ago and we've been stumped at what is causing the thumping. Was it the heater turning on? An animal in our walls? Our next door neighbor blasting his music? Last night we FINALLY figured it out. It's Baby Addie!

OMG, people! How is it possible for a little baby to kick the floor (she's been sleeping in the closet to keep from waking Ellie up) so loud that it can be heard throughout the house????

I guess this topic makes a full circle and the blame can once again be placed on Addie. Our solution is to put a pillow under her legs and hope to sleep tonight. LOL. Next?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so glad you didn't post your first assumption. ;)

Niffer said...

Yeah, you owe me. I thought it would have been particularly funny...