Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

A lesson on letting go

I guess part of growing up is learning how to let go. I see my little girl playing with Snowball and I am surprised by how difficult it is for me to just sit back and let her explore the playground with her new friend. Does she know how special Snowball is? Does she know about all the adventures the two of us went on when I was just a little girl myself? No, of course she doesn't. Addie just sees what I saw - an adorable little polar bear ready for a hug or adventure. Addie doesn't notice the slight gasping sound that comes from Mommy's mouth whenever she drops Snowball. She doesn't pay any attention to Mommy brushing off the dirt and does not hesitate to squeeze the bear as tight as possible for a hug. And so Mommy keeps her personal turmoil inside and allows Addie to have this innocent moment with a new friend, just as a child should be.

And no, this day was not just a lesson on how to let go of childhood treasures, but how to just let go in general. In so many ways I feel like Addie is growing faster than her sister ever did. I know this to be true because I see her trying to do, not only things her big sister does, but also things her big sister has yet to conquer.

Like the swings. Addie loves the swings and is not intimidated at all by the big kid requirements of holding on. It's me who has to remind myself that it's time to let go and let her swing to her heart's delight. Even if I don't push her as high as I could, I know that the day is close when that will happen as well. My baby really wasn't a baby for long, was she?

1 comment:

Hummingbitch said...

This made me tear up a little. Every time Daphne does something new, or tries something she used to be afraid of, I have to remind myself that she can't be my baby forever. Sigh.