Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Neighbors

Today's post is brought to you by the letter R. R for random.

Every now and then I wish that we had more kids in our neighborhood who are the same age as ours. Sometimes I look at the setup that my sister has with Adam's kids and their neighborhood and I get a little jealous. There are young children everywhere there and therefore lots of oppoturnities to have friends near by.

However, lately I've been finding myself more and more appreciative of the setup we have. No we don't have many kids the same age as Ellie and Addie, but one would have to presume that they will come out of hiding once Kindergarten starts and Ellie starts to ride the bus. Surely there are kids hiding in their houses that we aren't aware of. I've seen them from the corner of my eye.

And then there is Olivia. She's our next door neighbor and is beyond sweet. I remember when we first met her (just about to turn 7) we said "If Ellie is half as sweet as Olivia is, then we've done something right." I think we're on the right track.

But 3 years later and Olivia is still great. She LOVES to play with our girls. She actually ENJOYS it and doesn't see it as "a chore" to hang out with them even if they're so much younger than her. The result is magical. Ellie will go on bike rides around the block with Olivia. Addie will draw chalk pictures on the sidewalk with her. There are even times when Olivia "watches" both girls and keeps them both entertained while we take a break.

Olivia... we so very much appreciate you. I love watching how my girls look up to her as the "cool big kid." And I love being able to relax a little too.

Anyway... that's my random thought for the day. The end.

No comments: