Pages

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I broke an old man's heart last night

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a weakness for cute old men. In fact, I told Michael before we got married that one of the conditions for us working out long term was that someday he must become a cute old man. I warned him of this because I have always known that someday I would be married to a cute old man. Granted I suspect I'll be old myself at the time, but the fact still remains.

Anyway, last night we sold our Saab. I love my car and hate to see it go, but there is something about a convertible that clashes with the idea of a baby car seat. Let it be known now, though, that I do intend to have another convertible some time in the future! And when that happens, I swear I'll be in Colorado so that I can full fill my dream of driving amongst the aspen leaves with the top down! Let it be known, dammit!

OK, back to the story, Niffer... We sold our car to the first person who looked at it. The man had "cute old man" potential, but only recently retired. He currently works at a golf course so that his grandkids can have free putt-putt-golf admission. Cute!

The sad part of the story, though, comes in when I was given the task of calling Myron, the other cute old man who was interested in seeing the car (we had an appointment to meet him last night as well). I'm not sure what I think of the fact that both parties interested in my car were old retired males, but I'll put that thought aside for the moment.

(Myron's phone is ringing)
Myron: Hello?
Niffer: Hi, we're supposed meet you tonight to see the Saab?
Myron: (sounding happy and excited) Oh yes! Hello! I was just about to leave work and call you! How are you?!
Niffer: Good, thank you, but I was calling to cancel our appointment because we had someone buy the car earlier today. I'm sorry.
Myron: (sounding so sad) Oh... Oh... Well I'm sorry too.
Niffer: (feeling guilty) Well I'm glad I caught you before you left.
Myron: (sounding heartbroken) Well, OK. I suppose that's OK.
Niffer: (feeling like a royal bitch) I'm sorry. Have a good night.
Myron: (sounding like the sad cute old man I'm sure he is) You too, sweetie.

Sigh. I realize it's probably because of my hormonal pregnancy "issue" but yes, I'll admit it... I cried after getting off the phone with Myron. I felt so horrible for disappointing an old man like that. Yes, I cried because I had to cancel an appointment with someone I had never met, after happily selling my car to another. Yes, I felt like the only cure to make me feel better would be a hot bath, but in the end I settled for a foot massage.

Poor poor Myron.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

So where are you at in the process of getting your convertible back...your back in CO...YEA!!

Niffer said...

Ha! I actually saw someone the other day with a convertible Saab AND two young children in car seats. Until that moment I thought it would be impossible. I'll have rethink it over. =)