Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Welcome to the neighborhood

We moved into our house about a year ago, and happened to move in just about the same time as our neighbors two doors down. We spent the first month feeling bad for our next door neighbors because both of us new-comers were doing major home improvement on either side of them. Anyway, and a few weeks ago I saw my neighbor and said to Michael "Wow! She's gained a lot of weight!" He asked if I thought she was pregnant and I said I couldn't tell because I didn't get a really good look at her.

Well this weekend we got our answer. They put a sign out on their lawn that says "It's a girl!" Apparently the baby was born was born over a week ago at only 4 pounds! Being the experienced parents-to-be that Michael and I are, we knew that the baby must have been born really premature to be that small.

Later that weekend, we went to give them a small gift to congratulate them, and of course to get the scoop. As it turns out, her due-date was 3 days after mine!!! She went into preterm labor and then started hemorrhaging so they had to do an emergency C-section. The baby is doing well but needs to spend the next week or two in the NICU.

Maybe it's just because I'm pregnant and getting closer to my due date (6 weeks away now), or maybe it's because I now know her due date was so close to mine... But this news has had a really strange effect on me. I'm not sure how to describe it. Maybe I'm sad. Maybe I'm scared. Maybe I'm excited. Regardless, it's hard for me to imagine having the baby now! In my mind, Michael and I have 6 more full weeks to prepare for a baby, but in reality, he may decide to come any day now!

$#!T I've got stuff to do! I need to catch up on documentation for work (as I'm sure everyone can understand, documenting my work is always the last and most annoying part of anything I do, but unfortunately it is also necessary)! I need to wash all our baby clothes! I need to put the car-seat in the car! I need to buy the useful stuff that we haven't gotten yet (not sure what, but I know I don't have it!). I need to finish my scrapbook! I need to take more pictures for my scrapbook! I need to finish my cross-stitch!

Michael and I are not really the spontaneous types... granted we've done a lot that walks the line of spontaneity, but in the end it usually takes at least a month or two of planning. So much stuff to do, but I know that in the end I have no control over this. It can not really be scheduled. "Pencil me in for any day for the next month and a half." Ugh. This is messing with my whole normal system!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brace yourself. Michael's cousin began his debut six weeks early, and only Mom laying flat on her back in the hospital delayed him two weeks to be a 7 month premie.
Sometimes those babies just can't hold back in their excitement to see what else it out there! -Wausau

Niffer said...

I was just telling my friends yesterday that I really do need to get away from the attitude of "Oh, I still have 5 weeks left" because it could happen any time. When I change my perspective like that, though, I get all flustered trying to think of all the small things we still have to do... like pack our bags for the hospital or put the car seat into the car... ACK!