Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Groggy Mommy

You know the horrible feeling you get when you just woke up and you're so tired that you can't remember where you are or what you are doing? Motherhood* puts a whole new twist to that, one that I have failed to find humorous.

Since Ellie has been teething, apparently I have become sleep deprived. The other day, I woke from a nap and couldn't figure out where I was. Then I suddenly freaked out wondering where my baby was!

Oh my god! Did I crush her in bed? Did she fall out of bed? Was she even in bed with me? I don't know where I put her! Did I leave her downstairs? What if she fell down the stairs because I wasn't watching her? What if she got stuck behind the couch? Is she even at home with me? Did I find a babysitter for her? Did I leave her at the grocery store? How would I get her back if I did? Who would return a baby to a mother who left her at the store? Is she ok? Is she still alive?

A few minutes pass before I convince myself to calm down. Ellie is safe in her crib, taking a nap. Remember, that's why I decided to take one myself too? Whew. That was close call. I think I'll go back to sleep now.


* DISCLAIMER: It's not just a motherhood thing, but rather "parenthood" because it's been known to happen to Michael as well, though for the most part that was when she was younger.

No comments: