Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Parlez-vous Spanglish?

We just experienced the stupidest thing.

So we're in the process of getting the house ready to go on the market. In attempt to make this story short, I'll just skip to the part where the cleaners came today...

Here's the deal - the cleaners hardly speak English, but Cookie (from the realtor's office) said she would come out and "translate" for us to get started.

Here's how it went:
Cookie: Hmmm... I expected your house to be cleaner.
Me: Well we had to patch all the holes from the pictures you told us to take down and that's the drywall dust from doing so.
Cookie: Ok, let's see what we have here... (she starts to point things out to the cleaning lady) We have the first floor here, then there is the kitchen upstairs, and tres bedrooms and dos bathrooms on the top floor.
Cleaning lady: How much you pay? $100?
Cookie: Oh no, tres hundred.
Cleaning lady: Three hundred?
Cookie: Si, si.
Cleaning lady: Ok, I go get my husband to help.
Cookie: (turning to me) She thought that we were only paying $100 and so she's going to get her husband to help.

Umm... hello? Does she REALLY think she's translating for me? Here I was expecting Cookie to speak Spanish, but I speak more Spanish than she does! On top of that, the whole conversation was in ENGLISH (minus a few insultingly simple words for the sake of pretending to speak Spanish) and I, too can understand English even without a translator!

It was awkward. I felt bad for the cleaning lady.

Just another example of how I really really really hope that we are able to raise Ellie to be bilingual... or at least not ignorant to the point where it's almost insulting. I'm not sure what our plan of attack is, but wish us luck!

No comments: