Pages

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Sometimes it's good being 2nd place

The other night Ellie was not feeling well. I changed her diaper at the beginning of our bed time routine and she was not happy about it. Rightly so, since she had a bad rash that hurt to the touch.

A couple minutes into reading our book, she needed another diaper change. She made it very apparent that she did NOT want me to change her diaper. Suddenly I had a great idea! "Do you want Daddy to change it?" and her face lit up. So I started calling out for Daddy. She joined. "Da Da! Da Da!" until he finally came up the stairs to help.

She barely complained when he changed her diaper, though it was apparent that it still bothered her. Afterwards, he went back downstairs and we continued to read our books. Then came a sound from her diaper area and she looked up at me and then pointed to the changing pad and said "Da Da!" She crawled off my lap, laid on the diaper pad and started yelling "Da Da!" until Daddy came again. And sure enough, she needed another diaper.

I'm not complaining. If she wants to reserve that special relationship between her and her father, I'm totally ok with that.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Fun baby trick!

Niffer said...

I don't know how he does it. She doesn't fuss for him nearly as much as she does for me. Diaper changing, putting on clothes, putting on a jacket, cleaning her face. He's got the magic touch.