Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Spanish Classes

I tried to take Ellie to Spanish classes but was disappointed. It turned out that it was a little more lecture-like than I was expecting. I guess I expected Spanish songs for Ellie to dance to. Don't get me wrong, I think the class was great. Just not for Ellie's age yet. I've decided to go to the French class instead, since it is supposed to be musically-based.

However, I did get a kick out of a little girl at Spanish. She was probably 4 years old, and her mother left her at the class. She was kind of a little snot and was obviously a single child because she did not have any patience with the other "babies" in the room. Every time one of the younger children would pipe up, she would say something like "Oh no. Not again. I can not concentrate with this kind of racket!"

At the beginning of the class, when the teacher came up to her and asked (in Spanish) how she was, she said "Umm... I think I speak English, but I also speak a little bit of Mommy and a little bit of Daddy." Then at the end of class, she came up to the Spanish teacher and said "I've given it some thought and I've decided one thing for sure. I do not think I understand you."

As entertaining as she was, let's hope the French class ends up better suited for Ellie's age.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Funny, from reading what your wrote and not having been there, I would have assumed the opposite about the little girl: not that she wasn't used to dealing with babies, but that she spends her days competing for attention from one. The "not again" and "oh the racket" type comments only makes me think it more LOL. (At our school, her name was Evelyn, but Jason called her Evil Lynn. Lame and lacking any creativity, but sadly true.) From what I've seen, babies are not innately annoying, they're actually interesting, until they start stealing the spotlight. The 3 year old onlies I've know are only too excited to to be around other kids and mesmerized by babies, the latter beacause it's not something they have a lot of experience with.

Then again, she might just be an all around spoiled, whiny child with no discipline. There are certainly some of those around!

Niffer said...

Interesting. I never thought of it from that perspective, but you're probably right. Regardless, she was pretty funny.