Pages

Friday, October 03, 2008

Strange job change for Daddy

Daddy is in Maryland right now for his job. To be more specific, he is at JHU/APL, where we used to work. You heard me right. When we were at APL, he was working on the New Horizons mission that went to Pluto (launched a few years ago). As a side note, for those who don't know, I worked for Homeland Protection Programs and a really cool Prosthetic Program, but I digress. Anyway, he worked on New Horizons because APL was subcontracted to build the spacecraft and conduct flight missions from their flight mission room (duh). However, it was SwRI who owned the program and it is SwRI who he works for now. So he's out in MD, working at the place he used to work at, with the people he used to work with, but doesn't anymore.

It's a strange feeling for him, I'm sure. It must feel weird to be back at the place you loved working, with the people you loved working with, knowing that it's not your home anymore. And for me, it's weird too, to know that he's out there without me. It makes me feel like we should all be out there. I guess that goes to show that wherever you end up making your first home, it will always have a soft spot in your heart.

Ellicott City was where Michael and I started (even if we met at CU in Boulder). We loved cute town hunting. We loved the coffee shop. We loved everything about Ellicott City (except that it wasn't in CO). We bought our first house out there, gutted it and made it ours. Even more so than our current home, the one in Ellicott City felt like *OURS*. We started our family there. Even though we replaced the carpet when we moved in, two years later the only spot that was worn down was right in front of the crib. It was where our family began.

So it's weird for him to be out there without me. It almost seems wrong. I think usually when you leave a place behind, it's just that... behind you. Oh, sure, you may visit every now and then, but it's not a part of your life anymore. It's a part of your past. So, for APL to still be a part of Michael's life is strange for both of us. It almost makes us feel like we should still be there.

That and he told me that they now have a Chik-Fil-A right across the street from APL! ARGH! Now that's just plain hurtful and make me really want to move back! Why did he have to tell me that????

No comments: