Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Not Your Normal Thanksgiving

I just got back from Florida for Thanksgiving. Why did we go to Florida for Thanksgiving? Do we have family who live there? Nope. Not at all. However, that's where I ended up for the weekend (along with Michael, his brother, mom and stepfather). With the exception that I really really miss my family (and having Turkey Day in FL instead of the usual CO meant I couldn't see them at all), the weekend ended up being a good one.

We went to the Dolphin Research Center, where Michael often donates money, and got to see all the dolphins! Did I mention I love dolphins!? On Friday we saw 3 super-pregnant mommy-to-be dolphins, and by the time we came back on Saturday, there was a super itty bitty baby dolphin. It was only this big: <------>. For obvious reasons, it was really fun to see the new baby, but it was particularly so for me since the more I watched the baby, the more I thought things like "oh, I'm going to have one of those soon!" No, silly, not my own baby dolphin. Just my own baby. Try to keep up with me. =P

And while at the Dolphin Research Center, what better thing to do than get in the water with them?? And how exciting would that be? I wondered if the dolphins would respond to me differently since they would be able to tell that I was pregnant. I have to admit, I got myself excited to participate. I even thought about how they would tell me "you can't get in the water with the dolphins during your first trimester", and I would respond with "that's good because I'm in my 2nd." It seems like a pregnant woman can't ever do anything if she's in her first trimester. You're banned from so many activities, I guess because companies are afraid of you having a miscarriage and then suing them or something.

Anyway, point is this... I thought I was in. They ask the expected "how far along are you?" and I responded with a confident "19 weeks!" However, much to my surprise, they responded with "I'm sorry, you can only get in the water if you're in your first trimester."

What??!!!
So let me get this right... if you're in your first trimester of pregnancy, you can not do things like get a massage or a flu shot, but you CAN swim with dolphins???
Weird.

Regardless, it was still fun, and I got some great pictures! Hopefully I'll be able to post them soon.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I just have to say that I think the whole you can't have a massage in our first trimester is BS? I had a glorious pregnancy massage at 40 weeks by a CNM and she hit ALL the pressure points with gusto that were supposed to induce labor and are therefor dangerous to not-yet-at-term women.

It did SQUAT.