Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our Story: The Beginning

A year or so after moving out to MD, I had long ago broken up with the boyfriend and Michael was still in CO getting his Masters degree.

I was alone in MD and spent a lot of time talking on the phone with my mom and sister. During one conversation I was complaining to my mom about how I didn't feel like I would ever meet someone who matched me out in MD. I felt like even though I had met a lot of nice people, they just weren't what I was looking for. She told me I needed to make a list of all the traits I wanted in my ideal guy. The way she figured it, if I could envision him, he would come to be.

What a stupid idea. But I did it anyway. I figured it couldn't hurt and at the bare minimum it would clarify to myself what it was I was looking for. So out came the list. I still have it, but I don't think I need to share it, do I?

Months later Valentine's Day was approaching. I called my mom again, lonely and depressed. "Your list idea was stupid. It didn't work!" She told me to read the list to her because maybe I forgot something. How would she know if I would forget something on MY list? But I humored her and read it out loud. "Yep, you definitely forgot something very important. You forgot to say that he is present in your life."

What? You can't be serious! That's just stupid. But again, I figured it couldn't hurt and as silly as it felt to do, I penciled in "He is present in my life."

The following day (February 14, 2002) I received the following email:

Dear Jennifer,

I wanted to take a moment of time to let you know what you mean to me. I know you can't possibly hear this as much as you deserve.

One afternoon we were sitting in the Engineering Center lobby, and you were looking out at the snow falling. You turned to me and asked, "What do you think people take for granted? I think they don't appreciate the snow." I always thought you were attractive, but in my eyes, that moment made you beautiful. Never since have I ever watched the snow fall, and not thought of you, and really appreciated it.

I can honestly say that you have brought so much light into my life, that I am a better person for having known you. I just thought you should know.

So, have a Happy Valentine's day, and if you would excuse me, I am going to go watch the snow fall.

Always,
Michael


A couple weeks later I was in CO for a ski trip and invited Michael to join us. Our first kiss was on the ski lift at Brekenridge and the rest is just details.

No comments: