Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our Story: The Engagement

It was a cold winter morning...

Actually, it was Valentine's Day weekend of 2004. The plan was to have my sister and her boyfriend come into town for the weekend. I didn't think anything of it because I figured he wouldn't propose on Valentine's Day itself (too cheesy, right?) and my sister was spending the weekend with us (he wouldn't propose with her there because then she'd be jealous).

As we're about to leave to pick Erin & Justin up from the airport, he brings our bags to the car. He tells me we're actually going on a trip as soon as they land. Oh road trip! Fun!

We got to the airport and parked in "Long Term Parking", at which point I learned that I was going on a flight. Michael said that Erin and Justin were just in Dulles for a layover.

Inside he managed to check us in without me knowing where we were going. The lines were incredibly long! I had never seen so many people. Over and over again flights were being announced with final boarding calls and I had no idea if they were our flight. Apparently they weren't.

I left the bag with the ring in it at security. Poor Michael nearly had a heart attack, but it was still there when we went back.

Erin and Justin were waiting in the terminal for us. Apparently she didn't know where we were going either because she was told that Dulles was her final destination.

We didn't know the destination until we actually got to the gate. Paris!

You heard right. Erin suddenly got suspicious but I still wasn't. I didn't think that Michael would ask with Erin around.

To make this story a little shorter, they proposed to us at the top of the Eiffel Tower. They did it at the same time, but took advantage of the crowds to separate us, so we were "alone".

So that's the story. It was so cool that Tom Cruise copied it a couple months later when he proposed to Katie.

What's your story? I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wasn't suspicious. I thought the same thing...no way he could afford Paris and purpose.besides you were there :)

Niffer said...

I stand corrected. They did a good job, though, didn't they?