Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Our Story: The Friendship

Ok, so this is a step away from the usual, but Spleeness has convinced me to document our story. I think it's a good idea, so here I am... talking about Mommy and Daddy's story instead of Ellie's. I think it will be the theme for the next few days.

Michael and I first met each other in the halls of the engineering center at the University of Colorado at Boulder. I recall writing class notes to a friend of mine (I later asked her if she still had them, but she didn't... sigh) about how I kept passing a guy in the hallway and though I did not have a clue who he was, I was strangely attracted to him. We would pass each other in the halls and I'd always give him a big smile and he'd return with a great wink.

Months later Michael and I passed each other again, but this time my friend was with us. "Oh, that's Michael" she said. Apparently they went to high school together. So, that's how I learned his name.

You might wonder why I didn't grab the opportunity to say more to Michael than just an occasional smile. The answer to that was that I was dating a guy at the time - seriously. In fact, the day that Michael finally got the courage to ask me out on a date, he was walking up to me and in came my boyfriend for a kiss. Poor Michael turned in his heals and headed for the drinking fountain.

So for the time being, we just became friends. And good ones at that. I recall having some great conversations with Michael and thinking that he was just an amazing guy. He was the topic of a lot of class notes between me and my friend. Wouldn't it be neat to still have those???

No comments: