Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Preparing for the dentist

When bringing your young toddler to the dentist for the first time, I highly recommend going prepared. Learn from my mistake. I thought I was prepared - I told Ellie over and over again that we were going to see the dentist and that she was going to sit in his chair. He was going to show her his neat toys with his water squirter and suction tube. He was going to show her the light that turns like magic when he pushes it down. He was going look into her mouth and see all her teeth. What do you say to the dentist? Ahhhhh!

Every reaction from her indicated that she thought the dentist was a magical place and she was very excited to meet him. So I thought I prepared her well.

We get into the dentist office and she sits on my lap in his chair. Her baby doll, in turn, sat in Ellie's lap. The dentist was very friendly. He talked to the doll a lot and asked Ellie many questions about her. Does baby have teeth? Yes. Does baby brush her teeth? Yes. Can I see baby's teeth? Ahhh. It was going so well. Then he asked the dreaded question.

Dentist: What is baby's name?
Ellie: NAY-KED BABY!!! (shouts it so that I can hear laughter from two rooms down)
Dentist: Your baby's name is...?
Ellie: NAY-KED BABY! (more laughs)

I wish I could say that the rest of the visit went just as well. He never was able to get a look into her mouth. I guess we'll try again in a couple months.

But lesson learned. No matter how much you think you're prepared. MAKE SURE YOUR DAUGHTER'S DOLL HAS A REAL NAME!!!! Susie would be nice, don't you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny. It actually made me "LOL".

NAY-KED BABY!!

Jen

Niffer said...

Sadly (in a funny way, of course) I think the name is going to stick.

Heidi said...

Fantastic name LOL.

Niffer said...

It doesn't compare to Not Bob, though!