Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival

I know it's a little late (let's blame a faulty internet router, shall we?), but one of the things I got to do for my birthday was to take Ellie out on a special date with just her, Mommy and Daddy. Addie stayed home with Nana while the three of us went to the Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival. Since she has her own set of chalks for the driveway, I thought she could be inspired to step her own drawings up a notch. =)

It was really cool! Artists drew pictures with chalk (the feeling of that much chalk on my hands would drive me crazy!) and after the festival is done the streets are opened to traffic and the artwork remains only in people's photographs. Really cool!Right off the bat, Ellie's favorite picture was the one of a Mermaid, whose name is Ariel of course. She wanted a picture taken with us next to it.And then, the sweet little girl wanted to tell the artist that she really liked her picture. Ellie must have been quite impressed with it because she walked up to the artist, obviously a complete stranger and said "I like your picture!" The artist thanked her and told her that it was very nice to hear. Then she let Ellie help! She gave Ellie a chalk, told her to draw on the picture and to rub it in with sand paper. I'm pretty sure that Ellie was quite honored to be asked for help.Many of our pictures didn't really turn out because the shadows from the sun would make it nearly impossible to see the painting, but we did go back to take pictures of some of our favorites after the shadows were gone.This one was quite impressive. The picture on the actual ground didn't show anything, but once you looked at the reflection in the cylinder, you could see a man! WOW! We were impressed but once Ellie saw his face, she decided he was a little scary. I'm nearly certain that the other side of the painting shows an indecent figure but since I never actually looked, I can't make any guarantees.This one was my favorite. Ellie's a sucker for princesses and she gets it from me. I asked her which princess she thought this one was and after some thought, she decided it was Ella Frella (Ella of Frell from the movie Ella Enchanted).Regardless of how stunning some of the other paintings were, it was this one that Ellie wanted to return to for more pictures. The girl knows what she likes.

No comments: