Pages

Friday, June 04, 2010

Niffer Saves the World 2010

Every year I donate a chunk of money to charities on my birthday. It has become a tradition that means a lot to me. There is no better way to celebrate another year than to help others who are less fortunate than myself. It makes for a happy Niffer and we all know that's a good thing!

The charities I donate to vary from year to year. Really, it's what ever calls to me in the moment. The advantage is that I have saved everything from the salmon to domestic violence victims. I've bought cows for a village and helped stop child trafficking. I love to know that I've helped such a variety of people.

The disadvantage to doing so, though, is that one of my email accounts has become nothing but mass emails from charities and I'm constantly calling charities to request that they stop sending me stuff or even gifts during holiday seasons (way to make Niffer feel like a Grinch!) Last year, I thought it would be fun to offer to match any donation my friends and family made (combined with matching from my company, their donation would effectively be tripled). As much fun as that was, it definitely exploded the spam side of my life, not to mention the effort it required while filing for our taxes. So this year, I'm going to the opposite extreme.

Babies are calling to me. I can not even begin to imagine what it must be like to lose a child to cancer or to an illness of any sort. And in this economy - add financial strain on top of any of the emotional breakdowns would be enough to break just about anyone. Balancing the desire to stop living myself with the knowledge that I'd have to go on for the sake of my other child, well that's something I hope will never be needed. Little people who act braver than most adults - these are the ones who are tugging at my heart this year. Knowing that a child can still laugh, play and find joy in their lives even though they're in pain just melts my heart.

Contrary to popular belief, I take my life for granted. I try to soak it all in and appreciate every little detail. I even probably succeed more than most parents at doing so. However, my efforts are slim compared to how much a parent must soak in during the limited time they have with a sick child. To pray to God to be given a child, only to end up praying that you will be able to keep him... that must force a level of appreciation for life that I don't think I'll ever be able to reach. Instead of worrying about scraped knees or hurt feelings, you start wishing your child can make it long enough to experience even those moments - that's... well... that's... powerful.

And so... without further ado... I'd like to announce that this year Niffer has decided to save the children by donating all my charity money to The Children's Miracle Network, who according to Charity Navigator is a four star charity - BONUS!

Their Mission Statement:
"Children's Miracle Network's mission is to generate funds and awareness programs in partnership with and for the benefit of member hospitals/foundations and the children they are privileged to serve. We raise funds for more than 170 children's hospitals. Countless individuals, organizations and media partners unite with Children's Miracle Network hospitals to help sick and injured kids in local communities. Donations to Children's Miracle Network create miracles by funding medical care, research and education that saves and improves the lives of 17 million children each year."

Happy Niffer Day!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Happy Niffer Day! I'm inspired by your tradition of giving.

Salina said...

Happy Birthday!! I almost forgot!