Pages

Thursday, June 04, 2009

National Niffer Saves the World Day

Today I get to save the world! I love this time of the year! Every year, Michael and I save a chunk of money to donate to whatever cause makes our heart sing. This is the 4th year that I have donated all my money on my birthday.

This year I'm also trying something new. I'm not sure how it will go, but I started a Facebook Group called "Niffer's Saves The World", where I have told my friends that I will match their donations to a charity. I'm excited about it because I want to know what sort of things my friends are passionate about. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, but if you're interested in participating, please let me know.

I will keep the list below updated as the day progresses...

Today I have saved:
- Brain cancer patients (National Brain Tumor Society)
- Coloradans affected by the economic slump (Energy Outreach Colorado)
- Marylanders affected by the economic slump (Fuel Fund of Maryland)
- Children from around the world suffering from life-threatening diseases: they get to go to Disney World! (Give Kids the World)
- Terminally ill Coloradans and their families who need to eat (Project Angel Heart)

And through matching funds that my friends have given, I have saved:
- Children disfigured by cleft palate (The Smile Train)
- The poor in developing countries who need access to a medical hospital (Mercy Ships)
- Abused Denver children (Denver Children's Advocacy Center)
- Children suffering from Mucopolysaccharidoses (MPS)(National MPS Society)
- Terminally ill children needing hair-pieces (Locks of Love)
- Domestic violence victims living in Estes Valley (Estes Valley Victim Advocates)

Have a wonderful Niffer Day, everyone!

UPDATE: My rewards for today? Other than being a super hero for a day, I got to feel the baby move a lot AND AND! AND!!! I found out we're going to Paris! P-A-R-I-S! Oh how I love you!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT PARIS? I wanna go!!!!

Unknown said...

I think there should be a rule that you are not allowed to go there without your seestor....after all it is her favorite city.

Niffer said...

Mom, I did not publish your comment because I did not want to include dollar info on anyone's contributions. However, I'm trying to match your contribution to Estes Valley Victims Advocates but it's a pain in the butt because they're website isn't letting me charge my credit card and they don't have a credit card machine in their office. I'll keep trying!

Niffer said...

Seestor - Michael has to go to Paris for his work (woe is he)! I'm going to tag along for the ride. It's just for a weekend (the weekend after you're here). We're not sure what we're doing with Ellie yet.

Unknown said...

It makes me feel a little better that Michael will be working :)