Pages

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Playing Hookie

I read this article about a girl who is about to graduate from high school, having never missed a day of school in 13 years. I actually found that achievement to be kind of sad.

Some of my most valued memories are of the days that my mom randomly told me "let's play hookie" and we'd hang out for the day. I loved those moments because it was an entire day with just my mom and me.

Some other fond memories focus around family vacation trips we would take. Driving up to Montana to see Glacier National Park with my dad was always a favorite of mine, and though I'm sure we tried to plan those trips to coincide with days off from school, I also know it didn't always turn out that way.

And what about when I was much older - my visits to see college campuses sparked more excitement in me for my future education than any words of encouragement from adults.

There are just so many experiences that this girl missed out on. I'm hoping that when Ellie and her sibling get to be school-aged, I'm not too busy to take an occasional day off playing hookie, or that we're not too busy to take family vacations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree...I read the article and thought the very same thoughts. Oh....and if I don't have kids I want to take Ellie on Hooky days. :)

Niffer said...

As a responsible mother, I'm obligated to say that you can take her as long as she finishes her homework.