Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy Camper - the tent

As with many new things we try, we were fearful about how the camping trip would turn out. Mainly, we questioned how well Ellie would sleep. Right off the bat, though, she took us by surprise. We expected her to want to play games with Nana while we set the tent up, but she was all about helping us out. She helped clear out the rocks from the area we were going to place the tent. She helped put the sticks together and was so proud that she made such a long stick. Then she helped hold the tent in place and hammered in some of the pegs that hold the tent down. Once up, she went inside and ran in circles. Then she helped set up the bed with the sleeping bags and pillows and pretended to go to sleep. It was adorable how much she enjoyed the setup process.Gasp! What's out there? Is it a monster? Is it a bear? Nope, it's just Nana and Grandpa.
Luckily for us, there weren't a lot of bugs around so we were able to keep the tent door open for Ellie to come and go as she wished. She knew to take her shoes off inside the tent and put them back on when she left. She probably went back and forth 20 times while we were enjoying the camp fire the first night. She loved being able to flop back onto the mattress and get lost in the sleeping bags.Say "Cheese!" As adorable as I think this picture is, it did make me realize that Ellie desperately needed a haircut. No worries... we cut her bangs as soon as we got home and into cozy clothes. She can now see again.Ellie loved being in the tent. She loved how it kept us dry and she could see the rain hitting the tent. She loved how she could still hear people outside but they couldn't see us. I think she just loved being outdoors.And she loved sleeping with us. She slept extremely well given that she would go to bed 2 hours after her normal bed time and still wake up at 6:30.I think most of all, she loved falling asleep next to Mommy and knowing that Daddy would join after he was done with the fire. She doesn't get very many opportunities to sleep with us, mainly because whenever we try she just wants to play, but I think she was so exhausted that she didn't even consider playing once we put our heads down on the pillows.And unlike her normal groggy mood when she first wakes up in the morning or after a nap, Ellie woke up in great spirits. This is a cute picture of Daddy tickling her. I think this girl was born to camp! I hope we can do it more often!

5 comments:

Iman Woods Creative said...

What a fun adventure! I can already see your scrapbook layout in my head. :)

Anonymous said...

Uncle Justin approves of the happy camper!

spleeness said...

haha, seeing her happy smiles (and of you both too) made me smile through this entire post. You've got a happy camper on your hands for sure!

sqpeggy said...

what a fantastic story! we went to the mountains with A too but it rained too much for campfires-- I wondered how it would work out though. I'm psyched to try again some other day now that I know that Ellie has blazed the way.

Niffer said...

Now that we're back from the beach, I can honestly say that I think the camping was a better fit for her. I'm sure A would do great and I can't wait to see pictures (hint hint).