Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Becoming a dealer

I've already mentioned that I'm addicted to Etsy, but now I discovered that people sell photographs there too! I think many of our photographs from Europe are just as worthy to sell as some of the ones I'm seeing on Etsy. Click on "Treasure Hunting" to the right if you haven't seen them already.

I think I may end up becoming a dealer for other people's addictions. It could help finance my own addictions. LOL.

What do you think?

Now I have to ask myself if I care whether or not the images are copyrighted. Does anyone know how to copyright an image and how long it takes or how much it costs?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

You should go for it. I plan to do the same one day, once I get tired of making things for my own kids. Fabric is such an addiction!

spleeness said...

The U.S. Copyright office has a great list of FAQs on their site here:

"Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created"

You do not have to register a copyright unless you want to sue someone for copyright infringement (so it *is* a good idea to do, even if not absolutely required).

Two other places to experiment with selling stuff: Cafepress, you can open a store for free, and Imagekind, if you just want to sell prints, but you must pay for the store. I'm experimenting with both.

Best of luck!

Iman Woods Creative said...

Lol, I already emailed you similar info to what Spleeness posted. I don't think you should worry about it. Just have fun with it!

Iman Woods Creative said...

Also, I think if you ever had to go to court, one of the things in your favor is whether the image has been 'published'. Publishing can also be on a website. You could grab screenshots of your Etsy page and file them with the date.