Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Gramma Gable Gobble

I have been wanting to write this post for a long time but also avoiding it at the same time. Why? I'm not sure. I think that in many ways the relationship between my mom and my children is the one that means the most to me. That's not to say that the other grandparents aren't special, but I think that since I'm personally the closest to my own mother, seeing her interact with my children moves me in a different way than the others. And part of me is fearful that I can't find the words to give their relationship justice.

But oh how special it is. My mom is an amazing grandmother and watching her with my daughters is something of magic. I always knew that my mom would enjoy being around the grandchildren, but I had no idea... NO IDEA... how much my daughters would love being around her too. There is no doubt in my mind that my mom brings as much joy to my daughters' lives as they do to hers. It's really incredible to watch.


If Nana's specialty is always coming up with educational activities for the girls to do, Gramma's specialty is including Ellie (and I'm assuming Addie as she gets a little older) in her everyday life. Gramma volunteers to have the girls spend the night so often yet she has somehow found the secret to still accomplishing her To-Do list. If she needs to plant flowers, she has Ellie help her plant flowers. If she needs to paint, she has Ellie help paint. It makes Ellie feel so grown up to know that Gramma trusts her enough to do the work herself.


What I love most about Gramma is her sense of play. She is silly with the girls and they soak it up. She turns everything into a wonderous adventure where she often asks "Have you EVER seen anything like this???" and makes Ellie feel like they're discovering things that are new and exciting for BOTH of them. She shows Ellie how to play and use her imagination.


One way that Gramma has taught Ellie how to play is in friendly name-calling. Gramma often calls Ellie "Ellie Gable Gobble" and Ellie does the same in return. "No, you're da Gramma Gable Gobble!" When Gramma asks, where's Ellie Gable Gobble? Ellie says "Here I am Gramma Gable Gobble!" And it's not uncommon for me to answer my phone only to have it be Gramma calling to talk to Ellie Gable Gobble. It's a special thing just between the two of them. It's obvious that it's done with lots of affection.


Here is a Gramma who loves her job, and she's so good at it. I'm looking forward to seeing how Addie will follow her sister's steps and have a fantastic relationship with Gramma too. Gramma Gable Gobble, we love you very much!

1 comment:

Jaeme said...

great pictures