Pages

Friday, November 05, 2010

My Ellie at school

I don't get to watch my Ellie play with her friends at school much. Usually I read a book and have to pry myself away from her or drift away slowly before heading to work, but the other day her teacher came early (and thus I could drop Ellie off in HER classroom) and I watched for a few minutes while my little girl played with Brynn and Wesley as though she had forgotten that I existed.

I felt a little strange just staring so I explained myself to her teacher saying I love to watch her play because I don't get that opportunity very often. Her teacher responded with the most kind words.

Teacher: Oh, Ellie is very social. She gets along with all the kids and has no problem playing with anyone.
Mommy: Really? She's social (I have no idea where she got that from, perhaps the mailman... J/K)? Tell me more.
Teacher: Oh yeah! When she's in a group of girls, she's almost like the mother... she says "Let's go over here" or "Follow me this way." She's leads them along. She's a good leader.
Mommy: (silent but soaking it in)
Teacher: And she is very good at being helpful. She always helps her friends take off their sheets from their mats after nap time or helps them get chairs for craft time.
Mommy: (silent but soaking it in... don't stop)
Teacher: And when we have a new child come into the classroom, Ellie is just one of those children... There are certain children that you can TRUST to help make the new child feel welcome by showing them where the bathroom is or holding their hand while we walk down the hallway or showing them how to get water into their cup... You can just tell who those children are and Ellie is definitely one of them.

Sigh. My Ellie is one of the good ones. Teacher said so.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Nice to have your great opinions of your kids be reinforced! It's one of the greatest experiences of life to watch them develop their own personalities. And she's a great one! Of course, you knew that.