Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Counting machine

Ellie has moved passed the "Two... Two... Two" hurdle she had while counting.

We were watching the "gicken eckg" video (thanks, KC, for sharing them... she loves this one and the sad Canadian "Bye bye Daddy" one - though she thinks the grown son is Daddy so all is good).

Did you watch the Chicken one? Did you notice how many eggs go across the screen at the end of it? Five. Ellie counted them and took me by surprise. I have NEVER heard her count anything other than "two two two", with an occasional "one two two". But there it was... a very distinct "one two tree vour vive".

The next day Ellie counted to 8+ walking up the stairs and just about gave Ama (Grandma) a heart attack. It would have been ten, but she got excited and replaced nine with two tens. That works for me.

Now she counts just about everything she sees. Most of the time it seems like she's right, but I think she figures that starting over with one is just as good as continuing with other numbers. As long as every item is accounted for once, right?

So once again I'm amazed at how quickly things change. It's like a light switch. Once it's on, it's on. Deep.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Have you ever watched any of the Baby Human series? There are hours and hours, but the one on thinking that includes counting is a favorite of Graeme's and I had it bookmarked. "What comes next?" "The table!" LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZV6RxWewk (Starts around 3:38.) We watch it and talk about how he used to always pick the hand with the fewest treats when potty training. (I think I even blogged about it a million years ago, sigh.) Anyway, it's interesting as an adult, but hilarious if you are almost 6. He also really likes part 2 (also from "to think") with the cylinders. He and I conduct the same experiments on Ollie ALL THE TIME LOL. Poor Olive!

Niffer said...

I love picturing Cracker and you performing tests on Olive. That's adorable.

Niffer said...

I'll have to keep this in mind for the future.