Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why blog?

The combination of a conversation I had with an old friend in Maryland, as well as this post from Spleeness makes me want to explain myself a little better.

I used to read all about Cracker's adventures and I loved how his mom would keep track of all the little funny things he would say. I looked forward to when I could have my own stories about seeing the world through a little one's eyes. I started blogging the day I found out I was pregnant. Now Ellie is almost 21 months old and I'm enjoying it more and more every day.

It may have started out with wanting to keep a record of all those little stories that I knew would so easily be forgotten, but blogging has had a big effect on my life. I'm not sure if I can explain this but blogging makes me pay more attention to life. I thought it would just be that I would write about something if anything happened that was worthy of writing. Instead, it turns out that I find myself constantly LOOKING for things to happen. In doing so, I know I notice things I probably would have shrugged off otherwise, and some of these are my most treasured memories.

My daughter is the most incredible person in my life. Sure there are others (like my soul mate of a husband) but she is the only one who I see taking on the world with full force. She has to, doesn't she? Her spirit is so big and she lives in a world that expects her to be so small.

I feel like I wouldn't appreciate that as much as I do if it weren't for blogging.

7 comments:

Niffer said...

P.S. Then there's the obvious benefit of blogging making it easier for me to effortlessly keep in touch with relatives. Life is so busy that I really don't have time to call everyone any time Ellie does something funny. Call me lazy, but I'm sure it's also being realistic. Blogging allows me to tell the story once and all my friends and family (if they look) can enjoy it.

mjh said...

Some time ago, I accidentally stumbled upon your blog after doing a blogsearch for "love and logic". I wanted to see what other parents we're doing, so that I might get some more ideas.

I am so glad I found your blog. It is so much fun to read about how you perceive your daughter. You present it in a way that makes me laugh, and remember when my kids were doing the same thing.

Anyway, I enjoy your blog. I'm glad you do it.

Niffer said...

MJH, I wasn't sure if you were still reading my blog! Since you joined Facebook, I haven't heard much from you. Thank you for the compliments. I'm flattered.

mjh said...

I still read your blog. I just don't post to mine as much.

Niffer said...

I'm having issues with Facebook so you and I may be talking soon!

Anonymous said...

i love love love this post.

Julie said...

What a great way to look at blogging... I really liked this- going to look around now (found you through my husbands blog).