Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Peer pressure has its advantages


This girl does not like her hair done up. If she does agree to it, or even sometimes requests that I put her hair into a ponytail, it is quickly followed by a scene like this. This picture was the result of some quick moving on Mommy's part (I actually grabbed the camera when she requested the ponytail, not after putting it in)!

I think, however, we have reached a turning point. Ellie now lets me do her hair, and she is quite excited about it. In fact, she even shows it off to her Daddy and her friends and teachers at school. The secret? Peer pressure. Out of sheer desperation, Mommy asked "Would you like a ponytail just like B___? Boy did that set off a spark! She apparently loves having something just like her little friend with the perfect hair and the perfect clothes.

I once knew a little girl named Elizabeth who always had her hair perfectly done. In fact, it looked un-natural. She was only 3 years old yet she looked like she had been plastered with hairspray. That's the only way I can think of it to work. She always had her hair done in super elaborate braids. I wonder how her mom got away with it. I think she went way over board (maybe Aunt Erin can testify for what I'm saying), but it's impressive that she always looked so proper.

If I am lucky to get Ellie's hair into a ponytail, or even two, then it's always lop-sided and I'm sure people wonder why I parted her hair the way I did. Just know, I have no choice. I have to work fast! And if I can't get it done, then her hair will be in her face. Why don't I just cut it, you may ask? This girl seems to have a permanent comb forward. If I cut all her "bangs" then her hair will NEVER grow out. I wonder if you grow out of comb-forwards. I'm beginning to lose hope.

But at least there is the peer pressure of Br___ that I can fall back on!

No comments: