Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dear Well-Meaning Driver,

I realize that when you stop in the middle of the street, or parking lot, to let me and my family walk by, you are intending it as a favor to help us out. I know your intentions are good, but please stop. You see, I am trying to teach my child to stop and look both ways for cars. After which, I am telling her to wait until the cars pass and it is safe to cross. When you stop and wave to us indicating it's OK to go, this defeats the whole "wait for the car to pass" concept I am trying to instill. I do not want to teach my very impressionable daughter to expect that every car will stop for her, and I guarantee that she is too excited about crossing to understand the fact that you've given the "OK to go" wave.

I appreciate your intentions, but next time you think about stopping to let me and my family pass, please take that moment to help verify that I do indeed have them under control and thus they will most likely not run out in front of you. Then move along your way as normal.

Better yet, let's compromise. You may stop and offer to let us cross, as I acknowledge that it is the polite thing to do. However, when I wave back to you indicating that I'd rather you go first, let's not get into a waving fight. Then move along your way as normal.

Thank you for your help,
Mommy

No comments: