Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The center of the universe

Ok, so I totally taught my daughter this morning that the sun revolves around the Earth, but let's forget about that tiny little detail and move on with the story...

Ellie: Ah! Da sun is in my face!
Mommy: Yeah, the sun is really low, isn't it? Do you want to know how the sun works?
Ellie: Yeah.
Mommy: Do you remember how last night we watched the sun go behind the mountains?
Ellie: Yeah?
Mommy: Well, in the morning, the sun comes up from over there.
Ellie: Oh.
Mommy: That direction is East. The sun comes up in the east and goes down in the west, where the mountains are.
Ellie: Oh.
Mommy: The sun comes up from over there and goes up and up and up and then down and down and behind the mountains.
Ellie: Sun goes up up up and down hind mountain!
Mommy: Yep.
Ellie: Wat sun do hind mountain?
Mommy: Oh, that's a good question! The sun keeps going around the world until it comes back up over there.
Ellie: Oh. Daddy, sun come up up up and around and down hind mountain!

Little girl, if you really do understand that concept I think I may just have to cry.

4 comments:

Salina said...

haha, that's cute! I wonder what would be more terrifying - the earth spins and goes around the sun, or that the sun revolves around the earth? I can just see a young child freaking out about the earth spinning!

Iman Woods Creative said...

All I could do is smile when I read this. :)

spleeness said...

oh my word, that is incredible. She gets it! At least it certainly sounds like it to me.

Niffer said...

I think she does get it. She'll often tell me about how the sun comes up over there and goes down behind the mountains. She's a smart cookie. And cute too.