Pages

Monday, August 03, 2009

When you get bigger...

Ellie met her first real princess this weekend. We went to a friend's wedding and Ellie was fantastic! It was quite a surprise how much she enjoyed what I thought would be a very boring event for her.

The wedding was outdoors and she watched the pretty girls in blue dresses walk down the stairs. I told her she had to be quiet so she whispered the whole time and asked lots of questions. She asked about the little kids (flower girl and ring bearer) carrying the flowers and why they were confused about where to go (so adorable), and why the little boy didn't think he could step on the flowers (you should have seen it).

She whispered questions about the princess and the prince standing up in front of everyone and why they were doing so. I explained to her that they loved each other very much and were getting married. I told her that Mommy and Daddy loved each other too and that they once got married just like this princess.

At the reception, Ellie had a good time watching the band play music. There were also chipmunks outside to entertain her, along with the fact that she kept whispering (which was adorable).

Ellie's eyes lit up nice and wide whenever she saw the princess. "Dere she is Mommy! See? See the pincess?" She got a little embarrassed when the princess came by to say hi, but she did say "Hi pincess" in return and told her that her dress was very pretty. "Jus like Cinder-ee-a!" I'm sure the princess was flattered.

Ellie's favorite part of the whole wedding (aside from the cupcakes and candy) was by far when the princess danced with the prince. Ellie's eyes were glued to them. You could see all sorts of fairy-tale visions piling in her head. Princesses were real! She found a REAL prince! Wow!

When they were done with their dance, she cried for more, but she did settle for watching the princess dance with her Daddy. Afterwards, Ellie danced with her Daddy too, while Mommy stood in the corner and tried to cry discretely.

After the dances, we had to go. Ellie, knowing the proper thing to do, insisted that we say goodbye to the princess and the prince before leaving.

On the way to the car, she informed us that she wanted to be a princess when she gets bigger and have a party just like this one.

Mommy: Oh? What else do you want to do when you get bigger?
Ellie: I get ear-rins, jus ike Mommy!
Mommy: What else?
Ellie: I each the handle, jus ike Uncle Davie!
Mommy: What else?
Ellie: I ride Daddy bicycle!
Mommy: Oh, that would be fun! What else?
Ellie: I get baby in tummy!
Mommy: Oh? Not until you're really really bigger!
Ellie: OK! Weally weally bigger! When I ge bigger, I be pincess an ave baby in tummy!
Mommy: Let's talk about something else, shall we?

5 comments:

Kim said...

So cute! I bet she loved being a part of that fairy tale! Isn't it funny the things they come up with, and remember? :)

Niffer said...

It was definitely fun to watch her soak in the whole fairytale. We tried to leave her in the room where they had babysitters, but I'm actually glad that didn't work out. She was perfectly well behaved and was constantly asking questions about the princess and prince. I loved it! I bet it was a magical day for her to see that fairytales really do exist. I would have liked to experience the day through her eyes!

Iman Woods Creative said...

So sweet! I got goosebumps!

Anonymous said...

Jen, I think you came as close as you possibly could to experiencing the day through her eyes. She's so blessed to have a mother who does that. You described the experience so beautifully. I think this may be one of my favorite posts!!

Jen R

Niffer said...

Wow, Jen. Thanks!