Pages

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Hi there, Baby!

I realize that it has been way too long since I actually had my big ultrasound appointment. These were taken at 20 weeks, so they're easily 2.5 months old, but it's better late than never, right?

I recall staring at a similar picture of Ellie during my first pregnancy. I couldn't get enough of it. But this time, I don't feel like I need the picture to appreciate the baby growing inside me. Granted I don't notice the baby as much as my first, but it's comforting to know that I can usually feel movement within minutes if I stop and pay attention.

This baby is so much more active than Ellie was (watch Baby kicking!). In some regards it's comforting because it typically doesn't take long for me to be reassured that life is still present. However, in other regards it's stressful. You might ask how.

I recall complaining about the lack of ultrasound pictures I got with my first pregnancy. It took me by surprise that a typical pregnancy would only have a single ultrasound appointment from which one could take home pictures of the baby. I had friends who had higher risk pregnancies and was always jealous of the pictures they got (though never jealous of the reasons for needing more ultrasounds). I recall stating that I wish I had more ultrasounds.

I should have been more specific but I have had more ultrasounds with this baby. It seems as though the doctors just can't ever get a good reading on the baby's heartbeat so just about every appointment has resulted in an ultrasound that shows the baby happily active, just moving too much to ever get a good reading. As luck would have it, the baby also moves too much to get good pictures. I've gotten the additional ultrasounds that I requested, but still no pictures. Ugh.

But at least the baby is healthy. Life is good. And look! Baby feet! Adorable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!! Hi, Baby! Can't wait to see you in real life!

Jen R