Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Why?

Let the records show that Sunday, August 23rd of 2009 the WHY stage has begun in Niffer's household.

In the course of a single day, I had at least a half a dozen long drawn-out conversations with Ellie that seemed to lead nowhere. Let me give you some examples of the beginning of a conversation and the end. I'll leave it up to you to imagine the questions and answers the come in between.

START:
Ellie: Where we goin?
Mommy: Home.
Ellie: Why?

END:
Mommy: Because the car is tired.
Ellie: Why?

START:
Ellie: I can't see trees an rocks!
Mommy: That's because it's dark outside.
Ellie: Why?

END:
Mommy: Because Uncle David is at home sleeping too.
Ellie: Why?

START:
Ellie: I na ice-keam!
Mommy: We need to eat our dinner first.
Ellie: Why?

END:
Mommy: Because sometimes teddy bears need play too.
Ellie: Why?

START:
Ellie: Why I like cookies?
Mommy: Because they taste good.
Ellie: Why?

END:
Mommy: Because it's fun to go down the slide.
Ellie: Why?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

My deepest sympathies.

Iman said...

Have you asked her why about anything? I'd be curious to hear her response. :)

Anonymous said...

Nicely written. I feel your pain. =)

Jen

mjh said...

I tend to stop infinite why loops after 2 iterations. I end them with, "I'm not sure" or "I don't know", or when I'm feeling snotty, "You sure like to know stuff!" And then, I just play dumb. Giving the same answer over and over and over until they give up. It requires almost no thought on my part and turns the table a bit. I like it better than ignoring their question, but it serves the same purpose.