Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gotta Love Colorado!

Photo taken by Paul Richman

I recently befriended a guy who has gotten into photography as his retirement plan (what a fantastic idea). I wanted to share the photo above because it's simply perfect. I don't think it would be possible to ask for anything more from a photo. The flatirons in the background, the fall leaves on the trees, the geese in the sky, the balloons in formation and all that included in the reflection in the water - Perfect!

This was taken just a couple miles from where I live. Up until a couple years ago I was certain that I wanted to raise my children in the mountains somewhere west of Denver (or Boulder). I grew up in the mountains and loved it and always thought I would return to do the same for my children. That was until I had a job for a few months that required me to have a 45 minute (or more) commute. It was the commute that shattered my perfect vision of living in the mountains.

That dang commute! It didn't take long for me to realize that I wanted more out of life than all that. I wanted more out of life than living in a house with a long driveway, hidden in the trees, with a stream going through the property, with possibly a view of some snow-capped peak, surrounded by buggling elk in the fall and wild flowers in the spring. I wanted more. I wanted more time with my children.

The problem with a long commute is that it takes away valuable time with my children. Maybe when they're older, but right now I can't imagine spending two hours a day in the car when that time could be spent with them.* They go to bed so early that I only have a couple hours a day to cherish them. I'm not willing to give that up.

That being said... I only recently started to appreciate how incredibly beautiful it is when you live further from the mountains. Being able to see the mountain range in the distance is much prettier than I ever gave credit to in the past. It's different than being IN the mountains, isn't it?

And take this picture... That's where I live! I ended up living in a beautiful place, didn't I?


* OK, you caught me. I live a 5 minute walk from work but have a 45 minute commute because we transferred to a daycare in Longmont. It's freakin' $800/mo cheaper than the one down the street! Besides, it doesn't really count when I have the kids with me half that time - the conversations I can have with Ellie in the backseat make me smile enough that somehow I don't mind the commute.

No comments: