Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Human Pin Cusion

Tomorrow I get to start a special 3-day diet. Why you might ask? Well, read on my friend, read on.

The results from my blood work last week came back with high levels of glucose, which means that I have to go in for further tests to determine if I have gestational diabetes. First I have to be on this diet for 3 days, then I get to go get my blood drawn again first thing in the morning on the 4th day. If you don't already know, then let me tell you now that I do not like needles so this was not happy news to me. In fact, not only do I have to get my blood drawn again, but I have to have it have it drawn once, then drink my orange goo again, then draw again every hour for 3 hours. Count them up... That's four more needle pricks! UGH.

I know that just because my first test came back high does not mean I have gestational diabetes, but it does make me a little nervous. Part of me feels like my pregnancy has been going so smoothly and uneventful that it makes sense for something like this to pop up. But try not to worry about me too much, because I really am not all that upset about it. Even if the next tests come back positive, I know that it can be treated with diet and exercise (which I have already started - exercising), and won't have any bad effects on the baby (assuming it is treated).

...Pause...

Ha! Fooled you! I was only kidding! Well, actually I wasn't. I was in the middle of writing my blog entry when my midwife called back to tell me she told me wrong. Apparently the lab had written that anything less than 130 glucose level is normal and since my results were at 135, I was too high. However, my midwife assures me that those numbers are wrong and that anything less than 140 is normal. So I'm OK.

Sorry for the scare. Hope you can forgive me.

No comments: