Pages

Friday, January 12, 2007

It's different from this side

I remember two different women at work who were pregnant last year and I remember my reactions to them well. I do not work with either of them, but pass both of them relatively often in the hallway.

I apparently saw one girl relatively often because every time I saw her I found myself thinking "Damn! She's still pregnant? Hasn't she been pregnant for like a full year now??"

The other girl took me by surprise and apparently I didn't see her as often as I thought I did because when I did see her, I thought "Damn! How long has she been pregnant? Didn't I just see her yesterday with a flat tummy? She looks like she's going to pop!"

Well, it's interesting to be on the other side of that story now. I'm sure that there are people who see me often enough that eventually they will start to wonder just how long I plan on continuing this pregnancy thing.

And today, I experienced the first example of someone being surprised by my pregnancy. I walked into the lobby and the security guard did a double take of my tummy and exclaimed "Damn, girl! When did that happen?!" Apparently this would be an example of the second scenario from above, where this security guard probably feels like she sees me often enough that me being this far into my pregnancy should not be a surprise to her.

I had to giggle because I knew exactly the thought process that was going through her head.

No comments: