Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Wake up, baby!

One of my email mommy buddies wrote to describe a precious story in regards to her baby (due in April as well). She said that last night he was restless and kept kicking and stretching and thus kept her awake. However, she thought of a great idea and decided to start patting her tummy. Apparently her baby stopped moving. So she stopped patting. Then her baby started kicking again and then when she started patting her tummy again, he stopped. After patting for awhile, the baby calmed down and let her get her sleep.

How adorable is that? To think that it's possible to calm down the baby even before it's born is just really neat. I was really glad that she shared the story with the rest of us.

I haven't gotten to the point where my baby's movement have kept me up at night, but I will try to keep the method in mind for when the time does come.

In the mean time, I've decided to do some experimenting of my own. If my friend can pat her baby to sleep, maybe I can pat mine awake. So, I patted my tummy in the standard "da da dadada" pattern, halfway expecting to feel a "da da" back, right? OK, OK... so that comes across so much better when said out loud than when typed, but I'm sure you know the pattern I speak of.

Well, much to my surprise and enjoyment, my baby did indeed kick back! I'll admit that her "da da" needs a little work on the timing, but she's still young and still learning. Give the kid a break, sheesh! =)

No comments: