Pages

Friday, January 26, 2007

I'm definitely a cat person

I had some friends over last night for scrap booking, and as always, it was nice to see them again. One of them is expecting her second child in July. Her first just turned 2 years old (she is super-super-cute) and she was saying that she has started to really act up for no apparent reason. They (and the daycare center) believe it's because the little girl has started to sense the changes due to the new baby. She is no longer the center of Mommy's attention because Mommy no longer picks her up as much and Daddy is now more active in things like that. My friend says that her daughter has just become extremely needy in recent weeks.

While having this conversation, my cat kept insisting on being on my lap, which makes it quite difficult to do anything else but hold her. And that brings me to my point... what I found particularly interesting about the conversation is that while she was talking about her daughter's actions, she might as well have been talking about my cat's recent actions.

My cat has never really been a lap cat, though I've always wanted one of those! However, recently that's all she's been - a lap cat. She insists on me paying attention to her and if I don't, she'll sit there and cry until I do. This is very strange behavior for her and has only started in recent weeks. She is almost always snuggled up to me, whether it be on my lap in front of the TV, or on my side in bed, or even when I'm sitting on the toilet! She just can't get enough attention.

Do you think she's sensing the change that is about to come? Or do you think it's more simple than that and she's only being more cuddly because I'm warmer or something? Hmmm... Am I going to have to deal with sibling rivalry even before there are siblings to rival?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Does your cat know? I think they do on some level. It'll be funny to hear what happens once the baby is here.

My 3 were really disgusted when awoken at 3am by a crying baby Cracker. J used to say that the look they gave us was "what is wrong with you that you can't keep him quiet all night?" Just what we needed, disapproval from the cats of our parenting skills while we were getting used to parenthood.

I always assumed that eventually they'd all just learn to get along or ignore each other. Sigh.

Tigger is still terrified of him, though I'm not sure why as she doesn't allow him to touch her and she's usually sulking in another room (read not a witness to) what he does to the other two.

Corie, the lap cat, puts up with him and minor amounts of torment but doesn't enjoy his presence. She will do anything to get anyone to pet her including solicitors and the UPS man but only tolerates his petting.

Belle, the crazy one, is finally getting payback for all the grief she's given me. (And as they say, payback is a b*tch!) The two of them are constant companions, though I really don't know why. Even though his intentions are gentle his actions are not, and if I were a cat I'd be with Tig under the bed when his devotion came my way for more than a few minutes. With us Belle is either incredibly sweet or the rebellious, foul-mouthed teenager, constantly giving us the middle finger when we ask her to not do things she knows she's not allowed to do. With him though she's nonargumentative. Go figure! She only hisses at him once or twice a month, and hasn't given him so much as a warning nip in almost 2 years. She seems to sense his good intentions, but wow, J and I are amazed at what she'll put up with.

Niffer said...

Hahaha!