Pages

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pregnancy should affect the workplace more

I had a friend ask me to let her know how my pregnancy affects me in the work place, and though I intend to let her know as soon as I know, I have not yet seen much of a difference (other than an occasional comment of how I should try to take on less now that I'm pregnant).

Anyway, this isn't completely related, but today I've decided that I wish my pregnancy had more of an effect on my work. However, I'm thinking in terms of process efficiency. All I had to do to make this baby is start the process (no, I'm not going to go into details), but as soon as the process was started I am basically able to just sit back and trust that the design will work out.

Eventually my baby will end up with all the necessary inputs and outputs, without me having to verify specification details. Images will be seen as inputs to the eyes. Ears will conveniently input sounds. Mouths are dual direction signals... inputs for food and oxygen, but outputs for noise and carbon dioxide. Food goes into the mouth and out of the other end. And imagine all the sensors spread around the body just in the skin alone! How many analog inputs does that require? Who cares? It's all taken care of in the effecient process known as "gestation".

It's really a shame that more things do not operate like the human body. More specifically, and more relevant to me (it's all about me anyway, right?), I wish the design process for the stuff I'm doing at work could be "that simple". I'm constantly being told new information that I have to incoporate into my design, and am constantly being tossed curve balls in this design process that make me wish I could just press "start" and assume the end result will meet all specifications!

And to think that my critical design review is in less than a week! In case you don't know... that's the review where I get up in front of everyone and convince them that not only do I know what I'm doing, but I have a plan and that plan is solid and will not change. Ha!

No comments: