Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

It's just the hormones

I wish I had seen this cartoon when I had my Christmas Card episode. Oh, did I not tell you?
Michael and I bought some cute little Christmas cards this year. We liked them because they were simple yet pretty. However, when I sat down to start signing the cards, I realized the message inside had something to do about "God bless you and God bless the USA".

Now, I'm not saying I don't believe in God. And I'm not saying I don't believe He should bless my friends and family, or even this country... but I can say that it wasn't quite the message I wanted to send out to everyone. I'm just not quite that patriotic.

So, back to the store we go, to return the cards. Michael went to go look for a Chanukka card for our neighbors while I went to the counter to return the $5.00 box of patriotic Christmas cards. Much to my dismay, the lady behind the counter said that they are not allowed to accept returns on seasonal items.

Oh, you'd think the world was ending if you saw the way I responded. I was so upset that I couldn't return the cards. I was more upset that I was upset at all (they were only $5!). I was even more upset to know that I was just over-reacting, which made me over-react even more. And most of all, I was upset that I felt sorry for the lady behind the counter, who obviously didn't know how to respond to such an emotional pregnant woman. She kept appologizing saying "I'm sorry, but it's store policy".

I ended up leaving (with my $5 patriotic cards), and once outside I called Michael. And since I come from the Nix family, I could not speak when he asked me what was wrong. My worried husband came rushing outside to see what horrible thing happened to cause his wife such grief. All I could do was snap at him and tell him that it sucks to be a moody pregnant woman. And Michael, being the big-hearted person he is, only gave me a hug and then took the box of cards into the store and "donated" them to the ladies behind the counter, knowing very well we wouldn't use them anyway.

No comments: