Pages

Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's enough to make me cry

OK, just a quick post since I already wrote one this morning....

Part of the status report of the prosthetic limb we delivered for my project says the following:

Jesse grabbed a quarter, put it in a slot, picked up is hat and put it on, then took it off, shook people’s hands, and generally was a good showman. He expressed his enthusiasm for the project and for this type of prosthetic in particular; he said that an arm like this one would make it possible for a person like himself to do many things by himself that currently require assistance. He then said that if he could take it home, he would.

A bit of background - Jesse is the man who is testing our prosthetic arm. He lost his arms a while ago in an electrical accident. I'm sure many of you have seen him on TV. I've mentioned him once or twice before.

Anyway, it's easy to understand just how difficult some of those movements are for someone with a prosthetic arm to do (especially Jesse, who is missing both arms). And the fact that he was able to do those things on just his second day with the arm... well it's just amazing. It's mind-boggling really. I mean think about what this arm is going to mean to a man like Jesse!

And to know that I was involved in making it happen... well it seriously has brought tears to my eyes.

No comments: