Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

4-worded sentences

I'm sure most mothers try really hard to not compare their child to other children, but I'm also sure that when the occasional comment about how awesome their child is presents itself, they take it to heart and think "I *knew* she was better!"

Is that tacky? Oh, come on. I think it's has to be normal. I hope it's normal. If not, then I'm just a big mean Mommy who thinks the world revolves around Ellie. Are you trying to say it doesn't? =)

The other day we had our two year check-up and I was filling out the survey to determine if Ellie's progress was normal. I responded "Always" to almost all the questions, but the section that really took me by surprise was the communication section.

Does your child use 1 or 2 three-worded or four-worded sentences?

Huh? Only one or two? Here are a few examples of sentences that Ellie has spoken in the last couple of days:

- Bye Mernin. I go to skool.
- Daddy rides bus work.
- I need a poon.
- I no fee good.
- I watch baby vido?
- Daddy, I see garbage tuck!
- I see it now?
- I see yucky poo-poo?
- No! Lala do it now.
- I no like potoes.
- I push da buttons.
- I push wearry wearry hard.
- No, let's go dis way.
- I lay down stairs.
- Warm mak bottle pease.
- No pants, wear pjs?
- Read da mouse book?
- I sit on da foor y ook at dit.
- Cold - I need a dacket.
- Daddy as siver poon. Lala as geen poon.
- No, I wan pink kwoc shoes.
- I wanna drive geen car!

I've kind of suspected that she speaks better than many other two year olds. The little girl who was born on the same day as Ellie spoke similarly (it was actually quite impressive how much we understood her because she spoke with the same mannerisms as Ellie), but there have been many more children who don't speak hardly at all. It's kind of hard for me to compare, though, because some of them are a little younger and I don't trust my memories of what Ellie was like a couple months ago. However, there are also those who are older and still making more grunting sounds to get what they want.

Anyway, I've always suspected that she speaks more than average, but the doctor confirmed it. Just in the few things that Ellie said in front of her (things like "I go home now" and "No more doctor pease"), the doctor said "Wow! She's definitely talking better than I would expect at this age."

So there you go. Proof that Ellie is awesome. And if you still doubt me, just ask. I'll provide references. =)

3 comments:

Iman Woods Creative said...

She also said, "Doggy make funny noises!" She really does have a great grasp of language. You're doing a great job. :)

Niffer said...

Thank you, but I get the feeling that it's less about anything I'm doing and more that she's just amazing. Sometimes I still feel like I don't have a clue how to be a parent. I just hope she doesn't grow up to blame me for her issues (like someone I am dealing with in my life right now).

Unknown said...

na...you two definitely get some credit. But she is not only awesome but really should be AWESOME....I'll be a reference but I might be biased. :)