Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Names: Round Two

I'm torn on whether or not I want to find out the gender of the baby. And this time it's up to me. I'll admit that it was a lot of fun not knowing last time, and I'd recommend it to anyone. But this time? I'm just not sure.

I guess it doesn't actually come down to what gender the baby is, though, because I'm terrified of either. Let me re-word that. I'm terrified of naming either.

Last time we had such a hard time picking names (I'm assuming most parents do). The boy's name was the worst. We ended up picking Keegan, but neither of us like it anymore. AT ALL. How would be be able to go through that again if the baby is a boy?

And Ellie's name? We LOVE Ellie's name, but how are we going to come up with another girl's name that we like just as much? We stumbled upon Ellie's name just out of chance. When I google it, I find references to some South American singer, but I've never seen it elsewhere. It's not on any of the baby names sites or even social security sites. It's not in any books. If that's the case, then how do I find an equivalent name for this baby?

Ugh. This baby is going to be named Maux after all because if I can't find a name I like just as much as Ellie's, then I might as well pick one that came from a funny story!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Naming a person is HARD, especially when looking for something less common yet not whackadoodle. We could name a boy in an instant, but girls? So much harder for us.

A lot of names that we felt passionately about in the past are now off the list. We would still use the boy's name we chose for Olive, but I figure that in a year or two we will have moved on again. I also felt we'd never find a name for Olive that we'd adore the way we do the Cracker's, but we did. You naturally come to love the name more than you ever thought you could because you associate it with your child. ;)

Good luck!

Niffer said...

We talked about it for the first time tonight and it seemed to go quite well. There seemed to be fewer names vetoed than when we were first talking about it with Ellie. That's a good start, huh?