Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

WHY WON'T YOU JUST SLEEP????

Ok, so this is a couple days old. Thank goodness nothing quite like this happened last night. Actually, over all it went well. Bun Bun went overboard once and then Ellie woke up a couple times complaining about "falling down". I think after Bun Bun fell off the bed she was scared it would happen to her too.

Anyway... from last week:

Up until last night I would say that Ellie is a pretty good sleeper. She usually goes to bed with little fuss and then sleeps through the entire night. We recently started to have to keep her door cracked open, but both my husband and I remember wanting our doors open when we were young too, so I think that's reasonable.

Then last night hit us. It was horrible.

Ellie didn't sleep. Instead she spent the majority of the night saying "Mom-meee. Mom-mee" over and over again for 5-10 minutes straight. Then she'd stop, giving us a false hope of it being over. 15-20 minutes later she would start it up again. It was like she was waiting *just* long enough to let us to almost fall back to sleep. If it weren't for the fact that I was specifically paying attention to the clock, I wouldn't believe she did that for most of the night. We didn't want to go in there because she wasn't upset, but she just WOULD NOT stop!

Tell me - why? WHY? WHY WOULDN'T SHE STOP TALKING???? And tell me I don't have to fear the consequences of her only getting a few hours of sleep (seriously I'm guessing 3-4 hours - tops, instead of her normal 11-12). We're doomed. So doomed. This may be the very last time you ever hear from Niffer. DOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Totally normal. Every once in a while they have to see if the rules have changed. In this situation I always think of Brooke, who advised me to keep it very dark and very boring. Just wait until she's two and three!

Last summer when we were visiting the Cracker was in a relearn please and thank you phase. The timing of being out-of-town visiting people we don't see often made it really embarrassing. The last few days around here have been hard again. Seems that his birthday has sparked can I get away with anything new now that I am six. After months of pretty much no timeouts we're handing them out multiple times/day. It's a blast.

Niffer said...

The Cracker always gives me so many wonderful things to look forward to, and so many things to dread as well. LOL. He's a cutie.

mjh said...

I think this might be related to the new bed. All 4 of my children did this kind of thing fairly soon after transitioning from crib to bed.

I agree with Heidi. Young kids have to test the rules to see if they're the same. This kind of thing seems to happen more when there's been a big change. Which is why I think it might be related to the bed.

What we... correction, what my wife did was to get up and go to them. The idea was to let them know that, even though the bed has changed, mommy will still come when called.

I was of a different opinion on the topic. I believed that the kids needed to teach themselves to fall back asleep. But the relative shortness of the incidents has me thinking that she was probably right on this one. (Just don't tell her, please!)

Niffer said...

It'll be our little secret. Just between you and me. Oh, and the internet. She'll never find out.