Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

So grown-up

Recently I've been noticing a change in the way in which Ellie speaks. For one, she's been repeating every sentence we say, but that seems to have created an unexpected side-effect.

She now says more herself, and it's more than just stating the obvious. She has now come up with explanations and questions. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on the difference, but let me give you a couple examples.

Getting her dressed the other day I wanted her to wear a cute ladybug dress.
Ellie: No nadybug dress.
Mommy: You don't want to wear the ladybug dress? Why not?
Ellie: Is too big. (instead of just repeating "no nadybug dress")
Mommy: You're too big for the dress?
Ellie: No. Is too big.
Mommy: The dress is too big for you?
Ellie: Yeah.
Mommy: What about this one?
Ellie: No. Is too big.
Mommy: How about the one with the polka-dots?
Ellie: Ok Mommy.

At breakfast Mommy didn't believe Daddy that his method of making oatmeal was tasty (he just eats plain oats in cold milk).
Ellie: Oat-mak pease. (cute - oatmilk)
Daddy: You want a bite of oatmeal? Here you go.
Mommy: I can't believe she likes that stuff.
Daddy: Here, taste it. It's good. (Mommy takes a bite)
Ellie: Mommy, nummy? (instead of saying her normal "Mommy's turn")
Mommy: Mmmmm, yes. It is yummy. (in a chalky sort of way)
Ellie: Nummy oat-mak.

Do you see the subtle difference? I'm not sure it's noticeable to anyone else, but it's definitely something we've been seeing a lot lately. She also understands the need for past-tense because she'll say things like "I maked it!" She also has many full sentences like "I need a knife." I swear it's not what you think!

No comments: