Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

I really like this idea

I just stumbled on two blogs. The first one I found is One Click, One Pic a Day. The second is his girlfriend's blog, Green Polka Dots. These two random people decided to take one picture every day of the year.

I find this concept to be intriguing and I wonder if I would be able to follow through with it myself. I can think of a few friends who would be great at doing this (Dan, you're one of them), and even Michael and I have taken our share of great pictures from traveling.

However, I wonder what sort of pictures I would take if I forced myself to do so every day for an entire year. Imagine the things I would notice. Imagine the expressions I might be able to capture on Ellie's face.

Hmm... I wonder if I could actually do it. I'm kind of thinking it's just not possible with being so caught up having a toddler around and writing about her daily, but I may have to give this some serious consideration. I like the idea a lot and my birthday is coming up... maybe that would be a good time to start?

I guess I like the concept because it's about noticing something new and beautiful everyday. I try to do this with Ellie, but I wonder if I could take it a step further and look beyond my daughter for a change? Hmmm...

What do you think? Could I actually succeed, or would it just end up being a mid-year new year's resolution with good intentions but no results?

7 comments:

M said...

I think that you would lose more in taking a picture a day than you would gain. Having to put your thoughts into words the way you do typically for your blog is something you will be able to look back on far better.

Plus, you can print out your blog, and re-read it in years to come, and I just don't think you would get as much from just a series of 365 pictures. In a weird way, in retrospect, you could lose a year of your life.

Maybe just stick to your "Wordless Wednesdays" every week and see how that goes?

spleeness said...

I tried a different variation of this a few years ago with Dan's photos. I love his photos and even though he was too busy to keep up such a project, I thought I could do it. I didn't like the idea of being stuck doing this everyday no matter what was going on though, so I figured I would post quality stuff, irregularly:

Selected Snapshots.

The downside though, is that both of us got too busy to keep it up (Dan with putting his pix online and me wiyh upkeep). I mean to improve on this idea someday though instead of abandoning it. I like the possibilities too.

Some people do this kind of thing on Flickr and before they know it, they've amassed a nicely-sized gallery of stuff.

Iman Woods Creative said...

It's a good exercise but it's hard to keep up with it. I've tried! That was even my new year's resolution this year but since I take pictures for a living, on my days off I really wanted to be OFF!

Give yourself a challenge for Wednesdays like trying to photograph something you might not have otherwise noticed. Then it becomes a mindfullness excercise. Ooh! Photograph Ellie's eyelashes when she's sleeping!

melissa said...

Niff, are you the kind of person that gets irritated at yourself when you start something you can't finish? I think that wold be the only reason you shouldn't give this a shot.

I mean, really... what's the harm? It might be really fun, or you might stress out about it, but you can quit anytime. There should be no withdrawal symptoms, right. I, for one, would not fault you for starting and then deciding it wasn't worth it.

I'm FOR IT! It's a cool idea. Now I think I'll contemplate doing it too! Crap. Guess that means I should take my own advice...
;-)

Niffer said...

I think I'm going to try to stick with the Wordless Wednesdays and try this idea at a later point in my life. Everyone is right - I'm too caught up in Ellie's life to make this turn out to be anything other than a chore, and Melissa is right - I would only be irrated with myself if I didn't go through with it.

Thanks guys!

Emily said...

Hi! I'm the photographer/ editor of "Green Polka Dotts!" I really encourage you join in the picture-a-day fun. Both Pete and I have had a lot of fun doing it. Although it's hard sometimes to find something to take a picture of EVERY day, your view of the world certainly changes in having to do so. Not to mention that I think our photography skills have improved significantly! Good luck with your venture!

Emily

Niffer said...

Emily,

Thank you so much for commenting! I think I've decided it's too much for me to handle at this very moment, but will try to do it when my children are a little older. Right now, it's really hard for me to find the time to transfer the pictures from the camera to the computer. =) But I still love the idea!