Pages

Friday, May 01, 2009

Pregnancy Cravings

Most women have strange food cravings when they're pregnant. Not me. Apparently I crave tattoos. I felt this way when I was pregnant with Ellie too!

I've always toyed with the idea of getting a tattoo (usually an abstract picture of two dolphins) but have never gone through with it because it's so permanent! But there is no doubt in my mind now (like during the last pregnancy) that I want a tattoo!

I even tried to convince Michael to get a tattoo with me. How great would that be - to get tattoos together? He didn't buy it. Let's just say that he's lucky that *they* recommend *not* getting tattoos while pregnant.

I wonder if it's safe while breastfeeding.

Anyway, I want to get a tattoo that means something to me. A friend of mine has one on her back and it's a flower design with two Jesus fish symbols on the side. Obviously that's a big part of her life, but the thing I like about it is that it's subtle. I don't think most people would recognize the fish if they didn't know. That's what I want. I want a tattoo that most people would look at and think "Awesome tattoo!" but only I would know it's significance.

I also want something to remind me of the two babies. Last time I was pregnant, I wanted a daffodil or cherry blossoms because those were definitely the two things that reminded me of my spring baby. This time, though, I'm having an autumn baby. How do you combine the two?

Michael suggested daffodils wrapping around a pumpkin. Hahaha. I suppose that would do the trick. Do you have any better ideas?

Mark my words... assuming the hormones have nothing to do with this desire, which I realize is a BIG ASSUMPTION (making an @$$ out of U and Mption), I *WILL* be getting a tattoo.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Ooh, we will have to talk! I have always wanted some Mommy ink, but it wasn't until Olive was born that I came up with a design. I had it 95% figured out and was about to make an appointment for my b-day when my mom got sick. Since then it's been on hold. My mom *really* hates tattoos, and she'd be mortified. Sigh. Also on the list is dyeing my hair, which according to my mom, gives you brain cancer. (Her hair has never been messed with.) Never thought about bf and tattoos...guess I should look into that.

Iman Woods Creative said...

Henna! Let's have a henna party!

Niffer said...

Heidi - we definitely need to talk then. Maybe we can support each other!

Iman - I am definitely wanting a Henna tattoo to quench my craving for the time being. I plan to get one on my big belly. It will be fun!

Andree said...

I say go for it! Angie got a tattoo at a late age and I got my two in my late 20's. I know Mom was rather horrified but she was so cool not to have commented on it other than rolling her eyes! I do not regret them at all and if I wasn't diabetic I would get at least one more! Love the idea of the flower wrapped around the pumpkin!

Andree

mjh said...

The only thing that comes to mind is this SNL skit that I thought was pretty funny:

http://gprime.net/video.php/tattooremover

Niffer said...

Hahaha! MJH, I loved that skit. Thanks for sharing!

Niffer said...

Andree - I forgot that you and Angie had tattoos! I'm definitely liking the idea (of course, since I'm still pregnant, right?) and am looking into a design that I would like. I'll keep you updated.